June 5, 2013

{Real Wedding} Miranda & Jake

It's fun when I get to share real weddings from other fellow military bloggers!! Miranda of Hurry Up and Wait USMC, which you can see her badge on the right hand side of my blog, has shared her intimate wedding photos and love story. Get comfy because Miranda has a lot to say about timing, relationships, heartache and insight into being a military wife!

"I met my Husband Jake 7 years ago. I was a freshman in High School and he was a Senior. We started talking one day over Myspace (remember when Myspace was cooler than Facebook?) and eventually became really close friends. We tried dating for a couple weeks, but soon realized we were at two different stages of our lives and being friends made the most sense. By the end of that year I had to say goodbye to my friend as he went off to Basic Training for the Marine Corps. 

While he was there we lost touch. We had the occasional Facebook comment or message but eventually we hit the point where we didn't communicate at all. He got caught up in his new lifestyle and I focused on finishing school and making memories with my friends there. Six years later in November 2011 I received a Facebook message from Jake. I had just got out of a 3 year long relationship and was naturally heartbroken. Jake had seen my depressing Facebook statuses on the subject and chose to reach out to me. He gave me words of encouragement and said if I ever needed someone to talk to he was there for me. So I decided to see what he was up to and catch up on lost time so we began texting. Nonstop texting all day and all night. Our texting led to Skyping every night, into the wee hours of the morning along with countless rounds of Words With Friends. It didn't take very long for us to realize we had stronger feelings for each other. I never realized just how much we had in common with one another. We both loved videogames, movies, and all sorts of nerdy things. The only bad part was that Jake was stationed in California at the time and I was still in Minnesota.

I never imagined myself strong enough to handle a long distance relationship. I needed to know where this was going. I was starting to have strong feelings for him and I didn't want my heart broken again. So on December 29th, I flew out to California to visit him. We ended up going to the ocean that day (my first time ever at the ocean), and as we walked along the beach, hand in hand, he officially asked me to be his girlfriend. (swoon!!) I had a good trip but could only stay for a few days. I returned to Minnesota and hoped everything would work out with Jake. He came to visit in Minnesota in January for a few days and things went well. 

I didn't get to see him again until June, when I once again flew out to California to visit for his birthday. The day after his birthday on June 15th, we went to the same beach we were at when he asked me to be his girlfriend to watch the sunset together. One item on my bucketlist was to watch the sunset at the ocean and he wanted to share that moment with me. We were walking along when suddenly he stops, turns to me, and starts telling me all these sweet and romantic compliments. I do not like compliments so I blushed and shyly said "thanks?" wondering in the back of my mind why he was saying all these things so randomly. Then the following words came from his mouth "I had a conversation with your dad," and I immediately knew what he was going to do. Out of shock and nervousness I said something along the lines of "Are you really doing this right now?" He told me to shut up and let him finish, so he got down on one knee, pulled out a ring, and asked me to marry him!!! I of course said yes!!!! It was the most beautiful scenario. Right there on the beach with the sun going down. Then we sat down in the sand and cuddled. 

The rest of the night was spent sharing the news with everyone. A few days later I had to leave again and we said our "see you later" this time as an engaged couple. Then the stressful events started coming. Jake returned to Minnesota in late July for his pre-deployment leave. He would be deploying to Afghanistan in August so this would be the last time I would see him for a long time. The trip didn't go as planned. I wish I could have spent more time with him and I wish he could have had the opportunity to get to know my family more but there just wasn't enough time for that. This time when he left I broke down. Cried in the airport after walking him up to security and saying goodbye. Cried the whole 1.5 hour car ride home. Cried when I headed off to work that night. I have never cried so hard and so long in my entire life. I was not only afraid that he could be injured, but also afraid that our relationship would fall apart. Afraid that I wouldn't be able to handle being without him for so long. His deployment was one big roller coaster of ups and downs for me. 

Jake and I got married on March 1st, a couple weeks after he safely returned from his deployment. We had a small ceremony at the courthouse followed by a small reception afterward. He is now back in California working. He got us a really nice apartment while we wait for Base Housing to open up. He returns to MN May 10th so he can see my graduation ceremony. A week later we will be road tripping it to CA to finally live as husband and wife!!! WellAfter three very long days of non stop driving from MN to CA my husband, two dogs and I have finally made it to California!" 

PHEW!! Did you read the whole story?? So much of her story resonated with me since me and my love story and I'm sure many of my readers can relate too. To follow along more with Miranda & Jake's love story you can read her Blog: www.hurryupandwaitusmc.blogspot.com and facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/HurryUpAndWaitBlog

No comments:

Post a Comment